a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-16 00:56:08

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Mod

68XtNRq.png

The game client has mod support.

Mods can completely overhaul the look, animation, or sounds of any object in the game.

To install a mod, simply drop an .oxz file into your mods folder.  Multiple mods can be installed together by putting multiple files in there (but if they overlap in terms of which objects they change, one of the mods will override the other according to some kind of mysterious filesystem ordering).

When you launch the game client again, your mods will be loaded.  Note that they don't change the game content permanently.  Simply remove a mod file from the mods folder and re-launch the game client---the game will go back to normal.

Mods can be made using the Editor, which is now included on Steam.  No programming required.

To make a mod, in the Editor, use the Objects tab to edit various objects.  Be sure to use the "Replace" button when saving them inside the Editor.  You can also use the Anim tab to edit animations.  I'm pretty sure that live sound recording isn't working in Windows, but you can experiment with it.

If you want to add new sprites, you can import them using the Sprites tab.  Note that you will need to change settings/editorImportPath.ini to the location of the sprite sheet that you want to import.  Sprites should be on white backgrounds with black outlines (though you can get fuzzy edges by also importing a separate Line Import layer).  I draw the sprites in the game on paper and scan them in, and my scanner puts the scanned page in default.png in my home directory, so that's why the import path is set the way that it is by default.

After you get your objects looking the way that you want them to look (remembering to Replace existing objects, not add new ones---your edited objects should appear mixed into the list on the Object Picker, not at the top of the list), you're ready to export them as a bundle.  Use the Export tab to pick a set of objects.  Give it a name Tag, then press the Export button to save the bundle.  Look in your exports folder for your exported bundles.

Note that any mods in your mods folder will be loaded into the editor for further editing and exporting.  You actually need to load each modded object in the Editor and press Replace at least once before trying to export them.  Whatever is actually saved on disk is what's exported (the live RAM-only data is only temporary, and not saved on disk by default).

However, whatever changes you actually make while creating mods are permanent in your game data folder.  It's usually a good idea to make a working copy of the game data when modding.  Just copy your OneLife folder somewhere else, and run EditOneLife from inside that copied folder.

#2 2023-12-24 04:35:58

prier

Re: Update: Mod

Cool. I love the idea of mods that change how the game looks or sounds. I've thought about doing a sound overhaul before, not that I dislike the og sounds just thought it'd be fun from a sound design perspective.
However. I fucking hate players that use mods that change the game. I really wish lord Rohrer would make the main server game changing mod free.
You know who you are.

Board footer